Sunday, August 17, 2014

To Love Another Person is to See the Face of God

As Dr. Seuss once said: "A person is a person no matter how small." It doesn't matter if they are old, young, short, tall, boy, girl, single, married, 80 yrs old, 6 weeks, etc. They are still a person and as such they are entitled to the dignity and respect that a human person deserves. Even those who do bad, even horrendous, things while their actions are not excusable they are not deserving of our contempt or hatred but of our love. Who are we to put our imperfect selves above others just because we "haven't killed any one or anything horrible like that." In the end God is the judge and so we should focus on ourselves and instead of hating those who do bad we should pray for them... That they could come to see the beauty and dignity in themselves and in others. Because life is to short to waste time on hatred, arguments, misunderstandings, and even little things like who gets the bigger slice of cake! We don't know when it will our time or a loved one's time to die. So why waste all of this precious time on petty squabbles? Instead, why don't we fill it with love. If everyone made a tiny effort every day to show some sign of love to one person.... Imagine the change and the happiness that could start to grow from it? Not that I'm saying it'll be easy, in fact it would be the exact opposite of easy, it would be downright hard! 
But Let's be honest, I have so many AMAZING people in life and I know that I don't let them know any where close to enough how much I love them and the importance of them in my life. And over the last year I have lost two dear people in my life and very nearly a third and through that I've come to realize that I need to start saying "I love you" more often, I need to start being nicer as a person and not being afraid to show someone just how much they mean to me. Because in the end that is what really matters... Love. How much love did I have in my life? My love for God, for my family and friends, even strangers and yes... even my enemies. 

Because God IS love and to be like him we must also love.

1 comment: